Thursday, May 19, 2016

What was to follow?

March 15th
It happened. The conspirators and I successfully put an end to Caesar’s life. Obviously it was hard, especially when I heard the words, “Et tu, Bruté?” coming from Caesar’s bloody lips. Something felt wrong when he learned that I was a traitor… suddenly I felt that what I had done was an extremely bad idea.
Erasing those thoughts from my mind, I thought about how Rome would live freely and not under Caesar’s ambiguous rulings. It was time to inform the Plebeians of the great news, but the right thing to do would be telling Mark Antony first.
His eyes were hollow, yet his emotions seemed to be concealed. He was keeping himself together and trying to show strength towards me and the other conspirators. Antony was mourning, and wanted to rejuvenate himself by shaking our bloody hands. When the meeting came to a close, I decided that it would be the right thing to let Antony speak in behalf of Caesar, specifically saying, "You shall, Mark Antony" (Act 3, Scene 1, ln. 243). He was a loyal, respected, and humble man… qualities that would appeal to the great citizens of Rome. I made Antony promise that he would speak highly of me and the other conspirators, telling the people that we were the ones who allowed him to make this speech.
Antony was very sincere when agreeing to our terms. It was now time to tell the public about our newfound freedom! Antony and I would soon take the podium to deliver the news. Our plan had worked greatly, and I couldn’t be happier that Mark Antony was on board!

No comments:

Post a Comment